Date: January 23, 2023
Stretching is important because it can help improve flexibility, reduce muscle soreness, improve athletic performance, improve posture, reduce the risk of injury, promote stress relief, improve blood flow, and improve balance. It is important to note that stretching should be done properly to avoid injury. It’s also important to warm up before stretching and to hold stretches for at least 20-30 seconds. Overall, stretching is an effective way to maintain and improve overall physical health and well-being.
Our Favorite Stretches:
- Hamstring stretch: Sit on the floor with both legs straight out in front of you. Bend one knee and bring the heel toward your body. Reach forward and hold onto the ankle or shin of the straight leg, keeping the back straight. Hold for 20-30 seconds and repeat on the other side.
- Quad stretch: Stand with your feet hip-width apart. Bend one knee and bring the heel toward your buttocks. Hold onto the ankle or shin with the same hand and keep the other hand on your hip. Keep the knees together and the back straight. Hold for 20-30 seconds and repeat on the other side.
- Shoulder stretch: Stand with your feet hip-width apart. Bring one arm across your chest and hold it with the opposite hand. Keep the elbow close to the chest and hold for 20-30 seconds. Repeat on the other side.
- Calf stretch: Stand facing a wall with your hands against the wall. Step back with one foot, keeping the heel on the ground and the toes pointing forward. Keep both legs straight and press the heel of the back foot toward the ground. Hold for 20-30 seconds and repeat on the other side.
- Chest stretch: Stand with your feet hip-width apart. Clasp your hands behind your back, keeping the arms straight. Lift your arms and press your chest forward, keeping the shoulders down. Hold for 20-30 seconds.
- Lower back stretch: Lie on your back with your knees bent and your feet flat on the ground. Bring one knee to your chest and hold it with both hands. Keep the other foot flat on the ground and hold for 20-30 seconds. Repeat on the other side.
Call today to schedule an appointment with one of our providers!